Tuesday 5 February 2019

Supreme Kommandant Irusk (Irusk2) vs. Colonel Markus 'Siege' Brisbane (Siege2)

Irusk2 has been called upon to take on Siege2, who is jumping around to great annoyance of the general population. Once again, Irusk will bring his trusted Winter Guards to deal with the menace.

The battle is bloody, in a "human life is cheap" kind of way. Despite Irusk doing a thorough cleaning-up of Cygnar insurgents, he is narrowly beaten by scenario score. Cygnar did a classic hide the caster instead of a proper fight. Next time, Siege will not know what hit him. 


Siege2 is a regular star around here. It is a well know fact that you should stay at least 15" away - or you are dead. Normally, he is accompanied by Long Gunners and Commandos, so the addition of a Blockhouse is a surprising addition. However, this is not going to disturb Irusk and his standard WGK list, detailed here. Here are the two lists (the Cygnar list is purely based on memory):

Cygnar Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] Gravediggers

[Brisbane 2] Colonel Markus Brisbane [+28]    
 - Hammersmith [12]
 - Ironclad [12]
 - Triumph [18]
Commander Anson Hitch [0(4)]
Patrol Dog [2]
Trench Buster [0(5)]
Trencher Combat Engineers [5]
Trencher Commandos (max) [15]
 - Trencher Commando Officer [0(4)]
Trencher Express Team [5]
Trencher Infantry (max) [16]
 - Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper [5]
 - Trencher Infantry Rifle Grenadier (1) [2]
Trencher Blockhouse [10]


Khador Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] Winter Guard Kommand

[Irusk 2] Supreme Kommandant Irusk [+27]
 - Marauder [11]
 - Spriggan [17]
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich [4]
Winter Guard Artillery Kapitan [3]
Winter Guard Field Gun Crew [0(4)]
Winter Guard Field Gun Crew [0(4)]
Winter Guard Mortar Crew [0(5)]
Winter Guard Infantry (max) [10]
 - Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard [4]
 - Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max) [13]
 - Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max) [13]
 - Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt [8]

Initial Thoughts

This analysis is, as always post-event. I should probably have done this before the game. Steamroller events rarely allow for a couple of hours of analysis before the game can commence. So, as always, this will hopefully prepare me for the next time I face such a force.

Siege2 is well know for the: don't stand with 15" of him assassin run (I have lost Sorscha3 to that assassin run before). He can feat, giving him 3"; then walk for 5", use his Rocket Pack to be placed completely within 5" (making screening difficult); and finally he has a 2" reach. The Rocket Pack also boosts his next damage roll (same as if he charged). In addition, his big maul has knockdown on a stick. Fully loaded with focus, he can hit the opponent's caster five times for an average of 25+22+22+22+22+22 points of damage. He hits DEF 14 on average. 

What does this mean for Irusk2? Irusk do have one major advantage: he will most likely be immune to knockdown, thanks to Solid Ground. This makes him much more survivable that other casters who might lead a Winter Guard Kommand. Siege2 has a 42% probability of hitting Irusk2 with an unboosted attack roll. Assuming Irusk2 is left without focus, he will still be dead if Siege2 makes a dedicated assassin run. A fully loaded Siege2 will make an average of 19 points of damage to Irusk2, which is 4 more that he has. Irusk2 should be left with at least two focus, preferably three. Hence, measure carefully if spending more than four focus. This is assuming no spikes!

The opponent brought three 'jacks: a Hammersmith, an Ironclad, and Triumph. The two former are basically "just" beat sticks; Triumph is slightly annoying with his boosted (due to bond with Siege) gun with 16" range. All in all, it is just three 'jacks.

The trencher blob consists of: Trenchers InfantryCommander Anson Hitch, a Patrol Dog, and a Blockhouse. The Blockhouse is an odd construction. It does have a somewhat annoying gun, two trenches and can reinforce d3 trenchers during Cygnar's maintananice phase. The Patrol Dog is situational annoying, but nothing more. All in all, this blob is probably the least worrisome, even though the Blockhouse might spell trouble.

I really don't like Trencher Commands. They really prey on our proud Winter Guards. To being with, the do have stealth, so we can't really shoot them (rockets and mortars are fine for blast, though). They also have tough, so even if we blast them, they might survive. They have native Pathfinder, so  bye bye to terrrain and Artifice of Deviation. Once they have walked trough terrain and avoided shooting, they can easily hit us (83% chance), and Anatomical Precision gives one point of damage and removes tough. Just to add insult, they can mini feat and get +2 to attack and damage rolls. Combining that will Quick Work they can easily wreck havoc on 1-2 winter guard units. Have I mentioned that I really don't like them?

The Combat Engineers are basically just mechanics, just with the added ability to Sabotage our 'jacks.  They should probably be shot at first given opportunity.

Trench Buster and Trencher Express Team are two things that might cause trouble. The Buster is primarily a Shield Guard, but is also a solo for scoring. The Express Team is probably the most annoying of these two. They can reliably hit most of our stuff, removes tough and can push model d3". Given the rather short threat range of our 'jacks, a d3" push can seriously hamper any charge plans.

Deployment 

We are playing the Pit II. We both chose the Stockpile objective (remove d3 point of damage within 4"). I won the roll-off and opted to go first; I like to add scenario pressure as early as possible.

I went the for the classic setup, with a Rifle Corps on each flank, the infantry in the middle, and artillery between the middle and the flanks. Since we are playing Pit II, and only 'jacks can score the rectangular zones (ignoring the warcaster), I chose to have a 'jack on each flank 

Se picture below for deployment (ignore the four Winter Guards in the middle. They were a bit enthusiastic and ran before the photographer was ready).































The Cygnar player deployed his Blockhouse in the middle, along with the two trenches. The infantry goes on my left flank, and the Commandos goes on my right flank. Siege and the 'jacks, more or less in the middle. 

Turn 1

I basically just run everything. Irusk starts of by casting Solid Ground, and puts down Artifice of Deviation to hinder the Trencher Infantry on the left flank. He also pulls a little to the left, leaving Joe to make sure that the Rifle Corps on the right flank are tough. They are facing down the Commandos, so the whole tough thing might not be worth anything. I actually manage to remember to move Ayana & Holt this match.
























The Cygnar player advances everything, most of it cautiously. This leaves the trenchers on my left flank Dug In in the middle of the zone, leaving them on DEF 17 and imune to blast. Somehow they also manage to kill three of the Rifle Corps on my left flank. 

That is more or less it. The picture above is at the end of turn 1.

Turn 2

For turn 2, I still play the red tide, so everybody go forward. Except Irusk, of course. He is an old man, so he will hang a bit back. He drops Artifice of Deviation, upkeeps Solid Ground and cast Fire for Effect on the artillery on the left. 

On my left flank, the Rifle Corps charge the infantry, as there is no change of actually shooting anybody, when they are dug in. The Rifle Corps is not particularly effective, despite them managing to kill three trenchers (they should actually have a 70% chance of killing a trencher on the charge. Apparently the Rifle Corp was not aware of that). 

The Rifle Corps on the right flank moves up and does a lot of combined ranged attacks to remove Commandos. They were much more efficient than there colleagues on the left flak. Combined with artillery support, they manage to remove all but one!

My infantry moves into the centre zone and stays behind the Razor Wall Siege put down. Artillery also moves up and shoots at some random stuff. The Spriggan moves into the right zone to be able to score. The Marauder moves up behind the forest, to be ready for a feat-driven surprise charge.






















The Cygnar player started by clearing out my left flank, leaving the whole party rather exposed. The trenchers, the Hammersmith, the Trench Buster, and Triumph did a little too much for my taste. He also moves Siege2 a bit up and hide him in a trench. The Ironclad and the last Commando contests the zone to my right. This leaves my one down on scenario points, and loosing my left flank. Not good. The picture above depicts the end of turn 2.

Turn 3

I really cannot do anything about my left flank this turn. Irusk2 upkeeps Solid Ground and Fire for Effect, and allocates focus to the two 'jacks. He also feats.

The artillery and Winter Guards clean up the area in the middel between the Hammersmith and the forest. This makes room for the Marauder, who thanks to Irusk2's feat now can charge through the forest and remove the Hammersmith. One problem down. The Spriggan also wants to join the party, and after a bit of shooting from troops on the right flank, it charges the Iron Clad and removes it. So far so good.

The Winter Guards also remove the Express Team, the last Commando, and other bits and bobs on the right flank. I do manage to score one scenario point, making it 2-1 in his favour. The picture below shows the situation after my round 3.






















Retaliation time for the Cygnar player. The Trenchers on my left flank continues rolling up the flank. They remove one of the Field Guns, and Ayana & Holt. This puts an uncomfortable amount of pressure onto the back of my line, and Irusk. 

Triumph, supported by the Blockhouse and Siege2 manage to remove the Marauder from the centre zone. Siege2 also recasts Razor Wall to block my infantry. Somehow, I forgot how, he also manages to take out my objective. 

All in all, the board is now turned 90 degrees, with Siege controlling my left side, and Irusk controlling the right side. Scenario is now 4-2 in his favour. 

Turn 4

So, I'm halfway in trouble. I have lost my left flank, and the Cygnar player now potential threatens Irusk. At the same time, he has gathered his forces to my left, making any hope of an assassin run dubious at best. On the rigt side life is a party. Despite having lost my objective, I am in total control. 

Irusk2 upkeeps Solid Ground and put down an Artifice of Deviation just behind the forest to hamper any trenchers thinking that the remaining artillery or Irusk should be a target. Fire for Effect also goes on the remaining Field Gun. Finally, he moves closer to the right zone, so that he might score at some point. I think the Spriggan might have been seriously damaged at some point. I have to admit, I forgot.

The artillery shoots at some random stuff without doing anything memorable. The remaining Rifle Corps advances and cleans up any Cygnar leftovers in the right flank.

Finally, the infantry moves towards the centre and into the forest. To perhaps threaten something and potential score the middle zone, once the Cygnar stuff is cleared away.





















The Cygnar player consolidates his troops on the left side on the centre zone. Takes a few potshots, and that is basically it. The picture above shows the end of turn 4. Scenario is now 7-4 in his favour.

Turn 5

So trouble is getting worse. I'm slowly loosing on scenario and it seems that there is nothing serious I can do about it. I need to chew through Triumph, a bunch of trenchers, and potentially the Blockhouse to do something about the left zone (and to score in the middle for that matter).

The Rifle Corps advances a bit and start trying to chew though the Blockhouse. This might take a while. The infantry attempts to stay the line in the middle. The Mortar tries to clean up some trenchers, and the Field Gun tries to dent Triumph. The Spriggan is for all purposes out of the game and can only score. 
























Siege runs away. In Cygnar-speak it is know as a tactical retreat. However, it is typical Cygnar cowardice. He hides behind his objective. The Blockhouse, Triumph and the remaining trenchers cleans out some of my infantry, and advances into the middle zone. The picture above depicts the end of turn 5.

This turn ends 9-6. There is no way to do any more, and Cygnar wins on scenario.

Final Thoughts

It was all going so well. I though I had controlle. End of the second turn was the beginning of the downfall. I was in complete controlle on my right flank; which I'm quite happy about. I managed to subdue the Commands without any problems. However, my left flank completely broke. Once the Rifle Corps had been decimated I did not have anything as a second line support. 

I think I might have been too afraid of the Blockhouse. I was very worried about advancing into its field of fire. I haven't done the math, but I think I might have overestimated its capabilities. It basically blocked my troops on the right flank from assisting on the left flank. In particular it kept my Spriggan (which I think somehow got damaged) from moving to the left to deal with Triumph.

I am quite happy with the usage of the Marauder under feat. I think the main error I made was not distributing the infantry equally on both sides of the forest. That would have allowed me to at least contest the left zone, and potentially get rid of some of the Trencher Infantry. Perhaps I could have moved Irusk faster to the right zone, once it was going my way. I do, however, still think that the Spriggan would not have survived the advancement from the right zone to the left.

All in all, Irusk lost to Siege due to the classic hide and seek from the cowardly Cygnar. If they could just take a fight like a proper battle hardened warrior. Next time, they will not be let off as easily. 

Whilst returning to his tent, Irusk is also contemplating if he needs more 'jacks. Two doesn't seem to cut it, and perhaps the Spriggan isn't paying off.

For the Motherland!

No comments:

Post a Comment